Sunday, March 23, 2008

Cage

The youngest prince had gone missing and the royal city of Kyoto was in a dark mood. Three young women who had been in love with him decided to cheer themselves up by travelling into the fields around the city to watch the fireflies.

"But where are they?" they said when they arrived. "It's the right season. Where are the fireflies?"

The fields were as dark as the inside of a hat.

"Wait. There they are. Is that a house?"

It was a tiny house. Three beads of light moved restlessly in a cage outside the front door. "Old woman," they said to the owner, who was sitting outside. "Let the fireflies loose."

She refused. "No. I'll keep them in this cage. That way you won't have to move your eyes so much."

"She's blind," whispered one of the young women to another. "She won't see me if I --"

And with that, she reached forward and freed the three dots of light from their cage.

The old woman screamed.

"My eyes, my eyes!"

Two of the dots of light flew away in one direction.

"My eyes are gone!"

The third dot of light shot away in a different direction.

"My dick!"

The old woman fell forward on her face.

"Oh, oh!" said the young women, who were not bad-hearted. They turned her over and saw that the corpse had the face of the youngest prince.

No comments: