Monday, March 3, 2008

China, 1227

As Genghis Khan lay dying he began to smile.

"Why do you smile, great one?"

"I am tortured by the memory of an event from my childhood, a terrible humiliation, witnessed by only one other person. That person died years ago. Now I will die, and so the humiliation will pass out of this world forever. This alone makes me pleased to die. Here I am the lord of my life at last. My kingdom, what is it to this? In a few moments I will have perfect rest, for the first time, knowing that this memory has been destroyed. That is why I smile."

"Mighty Khan, tell us! We wish to compose a vast biography of you in song so that you will never be forgotten. Every detail perfect. Whatever you tell us, even the worst thing, we will find forceful and impressive. We promise."

"Then I will tell you," he said. They leaned forward.

No comments: