Monday, May 19, 2008

Cultural appropriation

The Ghanian hiplife musician Tic Tac recorded a song called "Kangaroo". In the video you can see people dancing to this song by tucking up their imaginary paws and jumping first to the right and then to the left.

The indigenous people of Australia, the Kulin in particular, took exception. "Dancing like a kangaroo is our tradition. This man has stolen it. Culture-thief!"

Then the kangaroos themselves spoke up. "Actually, to be perfectly honest, we prefer the Ghanian version." They addressed the Kulin, "When you imitate us you are fairly faithful. You let your paws hang limply, you pick at the ground, you hop as if you have fat bottoms. But these Ghanians -- they make us look sexy. Listen to the lyrics --

No matter how high I go, I never fall
Cos I am a son of a kangaroo
No matter how high I jump, I never fall
Cos I am a son of a kangaroo.

It's so much more flattering! Who wants to be a fat-bummed old dirt-picker when you can be a superstar who never falls down?"

They began freestyling.

"Funny boy, them try imitate me
Look them
Tell them say dem a masters them a rate me
Me too fast, them can't ever chase me
Who want rock me
Come and face me."








No comments: