Monday, April 21, 2008

Fishing

"What are you doing friend?"

"I am fishing for cod. Fishing for cod in this cold northern sea."

"A virtuous occupation."

"Aye. There's no sin in fish."

At that moment he caught a fish with sin in it.

He dug it out. The sin was a small nugget.

"Wickedness has afflicted this cod."

"Quick," suggested the other. "Throw that little nugget-thing back into the sea. That way no one will know that it was you who found it."

"I must not. If I do that then all the brine will be infected with free-ranging sin." A thought occurred. "I know who you are. You are the devil. I was wondering how you got out to my boat."

"I walked," the devil said. "I've learnt a few tricks. Are you sure you don't want to throw that away? Someone might find it on you."

"That I won't, hell-king. But you can eat the cod if you like."

"If that's my only option," said the devil sulkily. He ate the cod.

No comments: